Core Stability Workshops
Stability ball training is exercise performed on an unstable surface. It is aimed at improving an individual’s proprioceptive ability towards enhancing the body’s function in terms of balance and stability. Any individual who is subsequently more stable and balanced will be more agile and be able to generate greater strength and power.
The benefits of Stability ball training are:
• Improved balance and stability
• Improved posture
• Mobility and Flexibility
What is Sports Massage Therapy?
Sports massage is a form of massage involving the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit a person engaged in physical activity. Soft tissue is connective tissue that has not hardened into bone and cartilage and includes skin, muscle, tendons, and ligaments. Sports massage is designed to assist in correcting problems and imbalances in soft tissue that are caused from repetitive and strenuous physical activity and trauma. The application of sports massage, prior to and after exercise, may enhance performance, aid recovery and prevent injury.
How is Sports Massage Different from Other Massage?
While other forms of massage, such as Swedish or Holistic massage, have some aims in common with sports massage – such as physical and mental relaxation – sports massage is specifically designed to assist athletes in the sport or fitness activities.
Sports therapy primarily deals with:
• Muscular and Skeletal alignment.
• How exercise affects the body’s systems
• How massage can promote and reduce these affects to the benefit of the athlete.
Many of the aims of sports massage, such as injury prevention and the promoting of recovery from exercise, are therefore quite different from the aims of other forms of massage.
What are the Benefits of Sports Massage Therapy?
The manipulation of soft tissue prior to and after exercise promotes physical, and physiological changes that aid performance and particularly recovery.
The benefits of sports massage therapy are:
• Effective treatment for many types of injury.
• Helps recuperation after injury.
• Release of muscle tension and pain.
• Monitors stresses which may be building up in body and warns against potential injury.
• Removal of waste products such as acetic acid and carbon dioxide.
• Improved posture and flexibility.
• Assists recovery between intense training sessions.
• Reduced discomfort from DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) as a result of vigorous exercise.
Who Can Benefit from Sports Massage?
Anyone who engages in physical activity for the purpose of sport of fitness – irrespective of age, level of fitness or level of training – can benefit.
Anyone with injuries or problems that are inhibiting performance will find that the stimulatory effects of sports massage encourage the healing process. Recreational and competitive athletes following a regular training programme will benefit during recovery, and through the early detection of any problems arising from training stress.
Athletes engaged in sporting events or competitions can benefit before, during and after the event, depending on whether the need is for the release of muscle tension, relief from soreness or relaxation.
Sports Massage and Sports Therapy
Sports massage is one of the skills utilised in the practice of sports therapy.
Sports therapy also includes:
• Management and treatment of injuries.
• Exercise therapy and rehabilitation.
• Personal training, Exercise Classes and sports nutrition.